Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
26 user(s) are online (4 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 26

more...
Top Posters

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

lightball updtae
Home away from home
From Perth,Australia
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.argo.net.au/~zebsmith/project1.zip

testing 123..

Two new things.

set the blobs option to save all lights as blob objects..useless problay but easy to implement so i stuck it in.

panel lights..click panelight to load a bitmap(.bmp)..the rgb values of each pixel are used for every light in the array.The colour in the swatch is the mask colour. Click maskit to turn off all lights with that pixel colour. Click the swatch to change the mask colour..You can do this as many times as you like.ie. mask out more than one colour.
then save iob as usual.

hope that makes sense

Posted on: 2005/8/25 11:14

Re: lightball updtae
Webmaster
From Stockholm, Sweden.
Group:
Webmasters
Registered Users
Great....

You seem to have gotten the hang of this coding thing

Posted on: 2005/8/25 11:15

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
Sounds interesting, will have a look and update my tutorial a bit

Nice work :)

Lahl

Posted on: 2005/8/25 12:18
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
Just had a quick look, and found when making a 'panel light' that it would sometimes save a corrupt file, and come up with the same 'bad chunk size' error when loading into imagine that it used to a long time ago. Not sure if it does this again when saving files made with the lightgen thing, but it looks like a bug that needs fixing urgently.

Also, just wondering why using the 'mask' option doesn't actually delete those light in the same way as the dome option?

Not sure what the blob option does yet since when I tried to load the object into imagine, it used up all my RAM (1 gig RAM plus 2 gig virtual memory) and crashed Imagine..... oops

Lahl

Posted on: 2005/8/25 13:17

Home away from home
From Perth,Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
ust had a quick look, and found when making a 'panel light' that it would sometimes save a corrupt file, and come up with the same 'bad chunk size' error when loading into imagine that it used to a long time ago. Not sure if it does this again when saving files made with the lightgen thing, but it looks like a bug that needs fixing urgently.

hmm,can't get this bug to repeat..does it happen when you save a panel straight from the bitmap. or when you save and then reload settings and the create the panel.

Quote:
Also, just wondering why using the 'mask' option doesn't actually delete those light in the same way as the dome option?

It does. e.g consider this bitmap.
www.argo.net.au/~zebsmith/rgbribbon.bmp
Its 100*100 pixels consisting of a white background with a red,green and blue stripe 4 pixels wide down the middle.if you were to save a lightpanel from this the there would be 10000(100*100) lights in the object(same would apply to blobs) which is too much and we only want the rgb stripe anyway.So click on the panellight colour swatch,choose white from the dialog then click MaskIt. This will disable lights being created from white pixels. if you want you could now mask out red pixels etc.Save the iob ,load it into Imagine and you should have a panel light made of 4*100 lights.Dont be confused by what is shown in the listbox or 3dview as I have not integrated panels completely as yet.Its 'beta' so these 'features ' canl be fixed later

Quote:
Not sure what the blob option does yet since when I tried to load the object into imagine, it used up all my RAM (1 gig RAM plus 2 gig virtual memory) and crashed Imagine..... oops

too many blobs maybe.i tried it with the rgbribbon.bmp,white masked out to give 100 blobs and it loaded into imagine ok.

Posted on: 2005/8/25 18:53

Edited by liontamer on 2005/8/25 19:27:46

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

liontamer wrote:
hmm,can't get this bug to repeat..does it happen when you save a panel straight from the bitmap. or when you save and then reload settings and the create the panel.Quote:

I was playing around with the new features, so was saving out a light panel and loading it into Iagine, changing settings and resave etc. It was after changing settings one or twice that it started corrupting files, and the only way to fix it was to reload the bitmap and create a new lightpanel.

Quote:

It does. e.g consider this bitmap........... choose white from the dialog then click MaskIt. This will disable lights being created from white pixels. if you want you could now mask out red pixels etc.

ah... so you can mask out more than one colour ???? cool
I found out why the Mask option wasn't working for me..... was trying to mask out the black area on a BMP, except the black was not total black, just a touch off, so thats why it was't working. Perhaps an option to pick the colour directly from the bitmap???

Quote:

Dont be confused by what is shown in the listbox or 3dview as I have not integrated panels completely as yet.Its 'beta' so these 'features ' canl be fixed later

LOL.... ok... I admit I was confused and frustrated with it

Quote:

too many blobs maybe.

Most definately, especially since I was choosingthe wrong colour to mask out th black

Anyway, thanks for the tips, will have another go with it and hope it doesn't crash the machine again LOL

Lahl

Posted on: 2005/8/26 2:34

Home away from home
From Perth,Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I was playing around with the new features, so was saving out a light panel and loading it into Iagine, changing settings and resave etc. It was after changing settings one or twice that it started corrupting files, and the only way to fix it was to reload the bitmap and create a new lightpanel.

do you mean saving the 'settings' in Imagine or Lightball.
I suspect there is a bug in my settings routines..I have seen the error occur in the past but cant recreate it at the moment.If you could document a sure method to make it happen it would make the bug easier to find.The bad chunk size error probaly points to a problem with the number of lights being changed and then not saved properly in the settings.I'll look it over as well but i havn't looked at some of these routines for months and have to relearn what i was doing when i wrote them

Quote:
Perhaps an option to pick the colour directly from the bitmap???

yep,can do that easily enough ,perhaps a magic wand type thing using a threshold setting as well..

Quote:
Anyway, thanks for the tips, will have another go with it and hope it doesn't crash the machine again LOL

heh,its easy to create massive iobs with panellites.I may have to change the one pixel=one light idea and use an averaging system using larger bitmaps(as in lightgen),otherwise we are stuck with editing individual pixels in small bitmaps.

Posted on: 2005/8/26 7:49

Home away from home
From Perth,Australia
Group:
Registered Users
and btw.

i want to make the interface bigger.Its too cramped , so whats a good size.I would like to fit 400*400 view window for starters.It depends on what screen size people use.Would 1024*768 be minimum these days?
anybodies input welcome.

Posted on: 2005/8/26 8:09

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
do you mean saving the 'settings' in Imagine or Lightball.

No, I meant saving the object, not the settings. I would save the object the first time and it worked no problem, then change setting in the program and resave the new object etc..... after the 2nd or 3rd time it would corrupt the file and would need to start again.

Quote:
yep,can do that easily enough ,perhaps a magic wand type thing using a threshold setting as well..

Yep, that would be perfect

Quote:
i want to make the interface bigger.Its too cramped , so whats a good size.I would like to fit 400*400 view window for starters.It depends on what screen size people use.Would 1024*768 be minimum these days?

well, I don't mind a bigger interface, however, my monitor is rather old and needs replacing, and so the higher resolutions I usually use, like 1280x1024 and 1600x1200, don't work properly anymore, so am stuck with 1024x768 on a 20" monitor.

Others might use only 800x600..... I don't know, but just in case, you might want to think about how to make a 1024x768 interface work properly on a 640x480 or 800x600 screen. Nothing worse than not being able to use an application simply because it needs a bigger screen resolution.

Just a thought for those rare exceptions

Lahl

Posted on: 2005/8/26 8:51

Home away from home
From Perth,Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
No, I meant saving the object, not the settings. I would save the object the first time and it worked no problem, then change setting in the program and resave the new object etc..... after the 2nd or 3rd time it would corrupt the file and would need to start again.

ok, I am trying my best to make this bug happen but cant do it . Its probaly because i am aware of the programs limits and subconsciencely avoiding it.Can you pinpoint which settings that you change cause the corruption.ie. i have tried turning lights off and on and then resaving repeatedly and it seems ok

.Quote:
Nothing worse than not being able to use an application simply because it needs a bigger screen resolution.

or having to scroll around to find controls
I'll use 800*600 as a minimum..make the interface about 600*500..i cant imagine anyone still uses 640*480..ha can remember using ifa on amiga at 640*400 and wearing sunglasses so the interlace flicker didn't burn my eyes out.

Posted on: 2005/8/26 20:34

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]