Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
32 user(s) are online (7 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 32

more...
Top Posters

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

FORMS TUTORIAL
Just can't stay away
From Castelfiorentino (Florence), Italy
Group:
Registered Users
Today, I've upload the FORMS TUTORIAL, written by our great Bill Graham.

From FormsA.txt :

>
>
This is a Forms tutorial that attemps to explain 2-way symmetry. There are also 3-way symmetry, 1-way symmetry, and no-way symmetry tutorials.
This Lotus Screencam/HTML tutorial should be considered a subset of my original Forms tutorial that is here in this directory. That original tutorial is text only. This sub-tutorial uses a Lotus Screen cam animation that runs via the player that is also available from this Imagine FTP site. If you are new to the Forms Editor, it is suggested that you read the original text only tutorial first, then work your way through the A,B,C, and D symmetry sub tutorials in that order.
By reading the HTML document while watching the Screencam animation, you will (hopefully) get a better idea of how the Forms Editor works. Good luck!

Bill Graham

>
>

The zip file also contain the scplayer.exe

To the next time!!

Pippoli

Posted on: 2009/7/22 19:26
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: FORMS TUTORIAL
Home away from home
From Norway
Group:
Registered Users
It would be more handy to put those descriptions in the description (!) field with the uploads. If you can't do that for some reason it's possible to add comments.

Posted on: 2009/7/22 22:01
But I fear what's to happen all happened before.

Home away from home
From Conway, South Carolina, USA
Group:
Registered Users
LOL (blushing) Really, though, I had forgotten all about that. I did it with Lotus Screen Cam about 10-12 years ago, I think. Where did you find it?

As an aside, about the same time there was (then) freeware called Universe. I zipped it up and uploaded it (somewhere...) the same time as the screencam stuff. It's way upgraded now and is a commercial product, which you can find here http://www.diardsoftware.com/ and there is a trial version. For making space backgrounds (bitmaps) it has no equal.

Posted on: 2009/7/23 2:26

Just can't stay away
From Castelfiorentino (Florence), Italy
Group:
Registered Users
Hallo Bill!

I've downloaded the forms tutorial 9-10 years ago, from Imagine FTP site (or from 3dspot.com, I don't remember precisely).

Searching for this item, in the web, I've not found nothing
on purpose.

www.3dspot.com is a dead link.

Imagine FTP is working site, but the majority of the files are disappeared.

At the next time!

Posted on: 2009/7/23 16:36

Home away from home
From Germany
Group:
Registered Users
I know that the post is older ... I just found it while rummaging around. But I have to say that Imagine's Forms Editor is a really powerful tool! I already used the Imagine 2.0 Amiga version to model very complicated and organic bodies for industrial design. Even my friends who had worked with Lightwave were jealous and asked if I could give them a pirate copy of Imagine. ... because they just wanted to have the form editor. So I'm talking about the 90s.

Well, let me tell you, who once figured out how the Forms Editor works, and how easy the complex modeling is with it, will always want to work with it. And the good thing about the Forms Editor is that he works in Low Polygon Modeling. That means; The modeller himself mathematically gives his objects only the polygons that are necessary. Even with complex organic bodies, the modeller always calculates the minimum of polygons.

In essence, the modeller works the same way as a computer tomograph that breaks down the 3D body into its individual intersections. And the user can then use the key select function to call each individual layer in the shaping and to control it directly. And with the 1 - 2 and 3 side symmetry it makes this modeler a very powerful tool.

As I said; I've built very high-resolution and very complex bodies with it for industrial customers, where even these customers thought I had secretly built the models with a 3D scanner to charge them the price of a hand-modeling.

The editor is not that hard when you have a plan. The only important thing is that you know how to do the key slizing ... and that you also understand how to edit the objects in detail editor. So it is important to use the Subdivision Faces and the integrated Smoothing Tool and the Polygon Reducer correctly.

So to build a well-formed car body with the Forms Editor, with the appropriate pre-planning and background images of the 3 side views is just a job of minutes.

Who naturally used the Forms Editor on a trial basis and out of curiosity in Imagine, incidentally, without having understood the key slicing ... because he did not even know how to target it ... he obviously only got bored and strange looking 3D bodies ... and therefore lost the desire quickly. The pivotal point in the form editor and its meaningful use is exactly the key slicing. Once you understand that, the Forms Editor is just a breeze ... and above all you can use it creatively!

However, what I complain a bit about the editor is that Impulse has not expanded this since Amiga times. In the days of Windows and Mac OS one could already have integrated a key list or a key editor for a quicker overview. It would be nice, if a few small modifiers such as basic geometic forms would be installed .. which can be used as a loop cuts horizontally and vertically, so that you can easily save the tedious points save. It is almost impossible during a modeling process to quickly place a circular arc over 3 or 4 slices perfectly. Also in Blender these functions were missing for a long time, which were then extended later as meaningful addition. But since "impulse" with this editor many 3D program companies already had 20 years ago a lot ahead, one would have expected that with the Windows Update there would have been something extended again. But it's just the way it is ... the editor has always stayed up to date with the Amiga version 2.0.

In addition, I think that one could also integrate the key slicing with the detail editor. If you could export the individual key groups directly from the Forms Editor as subgroups for the Detail Editor. Since I'm really wondering what the programmers have thought because ... because in the form editor it works well ... then you could have it but synonymous with the Details Editor transferred ... would be so from the matter a dishwashing.

Posted on: 4/23 20:44

Edited by Marabufx on 2019/4/23 21:00:11

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.