Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
10 user(s) are online (4 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 10

more...
Top Posters

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 9 »

New 3D Comic
Home away from home
From Norway
Group:
Registered Users
Open in new window

People at various forums have occasionally been telling me I should start a comic of my own, but the problem is that I can't draw much more than stick figures. So I thought I'd try raytracing. Still it would have to be kept rather simple, both because of my limited skills and to be able to keep doing strips relatively fast. Somehow I came up with the idea of a strip where the characters are characters, and well, this is the result. So far I have five finished five strips (one of them a single panel actually), working on a sixth and have ideas for a few more. The next one will be released in a couple of days.

A bit of trivia: The bold H (some kind of hero, it seems) is an extruded H from a font called Soldier. Seemed appropriate...

This thread is started simultaneously on the Freefall, Imagine 3D and Global Comic Jam forums. It's up to you and your comments how different the threads will become. ;)

Posted on: 2005/11/12 9:31

Edited by Won-Tolla on 2005/11/12 9:46:42
Edited by Won-Tolla on 2005/11/12 10:14:04
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: New 3D Comic
Home away from home
From Norway
Group:
Registered Users
A bit later...

Just finished setting up the different versions of this thread, and now I've
got all the numbers for those who wish to see how it's received elsewhere.

http://nice.purrsia.com/cgi-bin/ultim ... b=get_topic&f=21&t=003434

http://www.xc15.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=261

http://www.globalcomicjam.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=444

Another link that may be of interest is the tune the H is singing.
It's a digital version of this one:

http://support.neosys.com:999/family/ ... s%20-%20Pete%20Seeger.mp3

Posted on: 2005/11/12 10:04

Home away from home
From WinnipegManCan
Group:
Registered Users
Very cool man, wish I'd thought of this idea, could have real legs. Congrats on a brilliant idea.

Posted on: 2005/11/12 14:13

BobbyStahr Imagine 2.1.9+

Home away from home
From Norway
Group:
Registered Users
Open in new window

Funny how plots start growing when you tinker with them. My original idea was to let the H (presumably some kind of hero) go straight to the bar, then I started thinking about which direction he was approaching the keyboard village from, and realized he would have to pass the Alt key...

Some credits and stuff, some of it a bit late: The letter characters in this and the first episode were extruded and beveled with Pixel 3D Pro, and most of the rest of the work up to and including the rendering was done with Imagine 3 (Amiga version), or IFA3 as they call it on Imagine3D. Various file conversions were done with GfxCon, and postproduction (putting panels together, some retouching and adding text) was done with DeluxePaint 4.
Except for the fonts fed to P3DP, most of the work was done by me, except for the village that's made out of keycaps ripped from a keyboard object constructed by one Carmen Rizzolo, who probably never would have expected to see his work used like this.
The guard's shout is a key decal from another keyboard design done by some other Amiga user who used to go by "<-D->" (Well that's what it says in the text file that came with it...). You're going to see a bit more of that one later.
Freefall readers may find something familiar about the guard's shape - he's a big G from the strange font I use for robot talk in the Klif series.

Posted on: 2005/11/14 3:30

Home away from home
From Norway
Group:
Registered Users
Open in new window

Another little insert on the way to what was originally meant to be this episode, with a little LoTR reference and a tip of the hat to my hardware. (For those who didn't know, Amiga is the female form of Amigo, which does mean friend in Spanish.)
You may have heard how Star Trek invented transporters ("Beam me up!") to avoid having too many shots of shuttlecraft landing and taking off. This is kind of the same thing. I have a village made of keycaps. Because they are spaced out both vertically and horizontally, you can see all the building fronts from the ground, and in fact did so more or less in the first episode. If I wanted the buildings to have doors and windows, I would have to rebuild the fronts of at least some of the buildings, and put dummy doors and windows on the rest for the distance shots. This would not only have been a lot of work, but I feel it would also ruin the pristine "keyboard look" of the village. So I decided there wouldn't be any doors or windows, which raises the question of how the heck do the villagers get in and out? Well, this strip answers that question. Even though most of the village is still just a bunch of keycaps floating in the air, I can get away with claiming that they all have telepods on the ground (and yes, there is a ground) in front of them, you just can't see them from below. *whew*
Throw in a couple of jokes, and the hero's arrival at the bar has been delayed another couple of days. (Don't worry, he'll get there on Friday!)

Speaking of days, yesterday I finished strip number 8, which should mean I have enough material ready for the rest of the month at the current frequency. The bad news is that the punsters on the Freefall forum have started anticipating my jokes...

Posted on: 2005/11/16 7:49

Home away from home
From Norway
Group:
Registered Users
Open in new window

And so finally we get our first glimpse of the inside of a keyboard (!). A joke that got lost on the way (but will return later) is that letter people don't drink - they ink. That's why the bartender inquires about your Pantone rather than your "poison".

Everything in this scene was handmade. I don't have an "ice" material for Imagine 3, so the "ice cube" is actually a water cube with a bit of distortion provided by a small program called Jitter, written by one Ian Smith. I've had his utility pack lying around for ages, and this is the first time I've actually used one of them.

Posted on: 2005/11/18 16:17
But I fear what's to happen all happened before.

Home away from home
From WinnipegManCan
Group:
Registered Users
This is great...I now have a semi regular Imagine feature to look forward to...thanx for this and keep em coming mate...

pax n lux

Posted on: 2005/11/18 16:26

BobbyStahr Imagine 2.1.9+

Home away from home
From Norway
Group:
Registered Users
Open in new window

The other half (approximately) of the bar. Yes, those are keycaps. And even though it's hard to see from this close up, the bar is a smaller version of the spacebar they're all inside.

If anyone wonders about the lighthing, I quickly found out that I couldn't use the same light as for the outdoor scenes. Most of the interior is one colour without texture, so bright light made everything one big blur. After pondering the possibility of drawing in contours by hand, I settled for harsh lighting from straight above, which makes the sides of things darker, and a fill-in light that follows the camera around. Actually there's a couple of shots where I forgot to move the filling light, so if you look closely you may occasionally see light coming from a bit off to the side.

Posted on: 2005/11/20 4:43

Home away from home
From Norway
Group:
Registered Users
Open in new window

In addition to providing an insight in The Ancient Art Of Making Alphabet Soup Of The Day, this episode provides the answer to the "riddle" that appeared on two of the forums a while back. It may be a bit unclear, but those boxes over the cauldron are supposed to be noodle containers, and together they contain everything you need to spell all the weekdays in English. A small group of words that have something in common and all end with the same letter (y) - I think that was one of the clues I tried coming up with...

Oh well. Stay tuned for more terrible jokes.

Posted on: 2005/11/22 7:49

Home away from home
From Norway
Group:
Registered Users
Open in new window

A bit of explanation for readers on other forums (and maybe some on GCJ as well): The Global Comic Jam has something called a Chaos Jam, basically a story anyone can add anything to at any point at any time. To liven it up a bit, some of the regulars have been issuing various challenges to each other. When the first branch reached page 7, I realized that because the pages have 3-digit numbers, that was actually page 007. So I issued a general challenge for everyone to include a James Bond reference on page 7. Even though this isn't really a jam, and doesn't even have the 3-digit page numbers, I figured this would be my only chance in a while to put my money where my mouth is and answer my own challenge. (Maybe now someone will take up the glove...)

A little note for artistically inclined readers on other forums: The jam is open for anyone. Hint hint!

Posted on: 2005/11/24 7:24

(1) 2 3 4 ... 9 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.