Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
28 user(s) are online (7 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 28

more...
Top Posters

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Bring me up to date?
Quite a regular
From California
Group:
Registered Users
First, thanks for this great support site. I was a Turbo Silver user back in the early Amiga days, and I stayed with Imagine up through version 2.0 after migrating to Wintel machines. But I haven't used it in a long while, and I didn't realize that Impulse finally faded away entirely. They could have been major players in 3D.

Anyway, I'm working with the program again so I don't forget my skills. I do have a few questions to help bring me up to date:

1. Exactly what improvements does v2.19 have over v2.0? I doubt that I'll need anything more, but am curious and can't remember for sure. Also, v2.0 is rock solid. Does the later version have bugs?

2. Can someone remind me of the other Impulse products that existed, and what functions they performed? I think there was something called Illusion, and perhaps some more stuff as well.

3. I noticed with interest that someone recently posted links to copies of Organica and its user manual. Unfortunately those files have now been removed. Any chance that someone knows where they could be found today? You can respond privately if you prefer.

When I have some time later I'll see if I have any objects or renderings worthy to share here. That avatar is a frame from my first animation done umpteen years ago...

Posted on: 2006/6/24 14:43
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Bring me up to date?
Home away from home
From Norway
Group:
Registered Users
Hi and welcome. The more the merrier!
Check the Happy Midsummer thread, the links there should still be active.
Primitives on checkerboard, eh? We've all been there I guess. An animation? Let me guess, the sphere drops on the spike and bursts, while the box laughs its block off?

Posted on: 2006/6/24 15:07
But I fear what's to happen all happened before.

Home away from home
From Los Angeles area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
sybersitizen on 2006/6/24 7:43:04

First, thanks for this great support site. I was a Turbo Silver user back in the early Amiga days, and I stayed with Imagine up through version 2.0 after migrating to Wintel machines. But I haven't used it in a long while, and I didn't realize that Impulse finally faded away entirely. They could have been major players in 3D

Hi there. Welcome and post anything you want to. I can't say what's new on the Win side as I'm still using Imagine with my Amiga 3000 and are pretty content to stay there for now. At least we'll know if the Impulse company is still at their listed address or not soon. Stay tuned!

Quote:
by Won-Tolla on 2006/6/24 8:07:59

Primitives on checkerboard, eh? We've all been there I guess.

Oh no! I blew the bell curve. I never did primitives on a checkerboard.

Posted on: 2006/6/25 4:38

Quite a regular
From California
Group:
Registered Users
"Let me guess, the sphere drops on the spike and bursts, while the box laughs its block off?"

Nope, the group just rotated. Hey, it took forever to figure out how to do that alone. We're talking late 1980's on an Amiga 500, and Turbo Silver was a rather mysterious program. I remember many, many times waiting overnight for something to render only to discover it turned out completely wrong!

Thanks for pointing me to the thread with the good links. Any comments on the advantages/disadvantages of v2.19, or details on the other Impulse programs?

Posted on: 2006/6/26 16:05

Quite a regular
From California
Group:
Registered Users
Thought I'd share a link I just found to help put into perspective the actual state-of-the-art in Amiga 3D prior to 1990. Brings back vivid memories for me! Actually the whole site is well worth exploring:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/erniew/cghist.html

It also reminds me that prior to the Amiga (in my Atari 400/1200XL days) I painstakingly transcribed some program I found in BASIC that was able to create a wireframe model of a simple object - a house, I think. That was when 'Tron' was the pinnacle of professional 3D animation.

Posted on: 2006/6/26 16:59

Home away from home
From WinnipegManCan
Group:
Registered Users
Sorry...that link doesn't work...could you please re load it...thanx

Posted on: 2006/6/26 17:11

BobbyStahr Imagine 2.1.9+

Quite a regular
From California
Group:
Registered Users
Works perfectly when I click on it from the forum page. Or just type it into your browser?

Posted on: 2006/6/26 17:23

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sybersitizen wrote:
Thought I'd share a link I just found to help put into perspective the actual state-of-the-art in Amiga 3D prior to 1990. Brings back vivid memories for me! Actually the whole site is well worth exploring:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/erniew/cghist.html

It also reminds me that prior to the Amiga (in my Atari 400/1200XL days) I painstakingly transcribed some program I found in BASIC that was able to create a wireframe model of a simple object - a house, I think. That was when 'Tron' was the pinnacle of professional 3D animation.

Hey! Thanks for the visit to way-back world!!!
I had all those programs! I saw the Amiga 1000 in a store window, I knew I had to have one then and there. I had only been working on Vax 11/780's and IBM 370's prior. Unless you were a millionaire back then, you HAD to work at a large corporation or University, etc., to do CG. When Eric Graham told me that he and his wife lived in the mountains (their mailbox was 50 miles away!), where he he coded and she wrote manuals, I was inspired to quit my big city job, grab my Amiga and head for the hills. Been here ever since! (much poorer but happier!) Hats off to the Amiga, Eric and The Juggler!

Wow, what a trip! Thanks dude!

Posted on: 2006/6/26 18:06

Home away from home
From WinnipegManCan
Group:
Registered Users
When clicked from the forum I got the accompanying scr grab...but managed on a copy&paste...thanx mate

Attach file:

jpg  404 bad request from page.jpg (34.71 KB)
7_44a02a6c108aa.jpg 397X507 px

Posted on: 2006/6/26 18:41

BobbyStahr Imagine 2.1.9+

Quite a regular
From California
Group:
Registered Users
Glad you enjoyed the trip back in time! As noted in the description accompanying the 'Juggler' animation, the version offered by Ernie Wright has an aspect ratio that does not look right on square pixel displays. I took the liberty of re-rendering it in a format that looks much better on 4/3 displays. I also attempted to remove, or at least reduce, a slight pause in the loop. The modified animation is now available in the Imagine3D downloads area under the name 'Juggler'.

Posted on: 2006/6/26 21:38

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.