Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
5 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 5

more...
Top Posters

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

DeskTops VS LapTops plus Imagine3D
Home away from home
From Reno, Nevada
Group:
Registered Users
AHGURH!!

I have this new laptop cow [gateway], which I'm sure is like anyother laptop [cow or no] and made this WONDERFUL[ahgurah...] discovery! [oh yeah... really wonderful...].

NOW! I know why they say "If you want to do 3D; go desketop."

It's in the graphics card. Desktops do have... Laptops do not. It takes GForce or AGP to do the 'new' OpenGL and such displays while working.

Imagine3D works [imagine that] while Poser[7], ZBrush, Silo and such [the new programs] don't.

Poser shows a blank screen [Did anything come up?!!?]; but when rendered... "By Golly!..." there it is. The freebe Wings shows [?? Where are the rest of the faces??!!] but in part; other newbe apps are the same.

Want to do graphics!!?? Go desktop net work; that is what I was told... and now I'm a believer.

[Imagine3D is not included in this disclaimer... imagine that...]

Posted on: 2007/4/14 16:31

Edited by Clae on 2007/4/14 21:14:52
Edited by Clae on 2007/4/14 21:16:08
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: DeskTops VS LapTops plus Imagine3D
Home away from home
From Manchester, UK
Group:
Registered Users
I am going to take a wild guess and ask if your laptop has an intel graphics chipset (950, 955 or some such)? I understand that not all current OpenGL features are fully supported by intel graphics - much is emulated via software I have heard. Are your drivers upto date?

I can run Silo, Zbrush and XSI with no real issues on my toshiba laptop which has an ATI radeon 7000 (I think!). The only difference between it, and my desktops' 8800 GTS is speed. My new rig is pretty much quicker :)

Posted on: 2007/4/14 21:48

Webmaster
From Stockholm, Sweden.
Group:
Webmasters
Registered Users
depends on the laptop...
Mine works fine

ofc, its a ATI Mobility Radeon X700 in that one...
No trouble so far

I like my Sony VAIO

Posted on: 2007/4/14 23:42

Home away from home
From Reno, Nevada
Group:
Registered Users
To change/add too...

Will look into why/how to get things going on my laptop; but the ones I really need to work with... work. So it okay with me.

WHAT!??!... I'm really looking at [and wondering about] are the 64 bit machines; seeing if I really need to get one.

Not surprized at what I read so far... but is it something that really needs to be gotten? That they run faster REALLY has my attention... but for end image results... that is what I need know now.

Posted on: 2007/4/19 22:24

Home away from home
From Ohio
Group:
Registered Users
Argh - well, so far (only did one test rend on my NEWish laptop), Imagine 2.0 seems to work. I haven't tried loading and running Poser 4 yet. I have a Compaq Presario V2000 with an ATI Radeon Xpress Graphics Card (200M)... It's just the wide screen that's throwing me, as all previous work now looks short and squat. I'm just happy to be running Imagine at all... I had doubts, and wanted to avoid Vista.

Posted on: 2007/4/30 12:14
I use Imagine 2.0 to build objects & scenes. I use Poser to create/recreate friends. I use PSP to alter my photographs for art and 3d mapping. "The only way to get the world to conform to my expectations is to build it myself."..................

Home away from home
From Reno, Nevada
Group:
Registered Users
Why did you want to avoid Vista?

Posted on: 2007/5/1 10:31

Home away from home
From Ohio
Group:
Registered Users
Clae- It's because of the input I got from some local folks on problems (not 3d or graphics related, though... just general complaints). Also, I looked at pc's running it, and it seems they decided folders were the way to go... I don't like them. Since Imagine didn't seem to be a work in progress, I was afraid it wouldn't run on Vista. So, I shopped for a slightly used laptop (that might have been a bit foolish, it seems)... and got one running XP, which most seem pleased with.

Does Imagine for Windows run well on Vista???

Posted on: 2007/5/1 23:26
I use Imagine 2.0 to build objects & scenes. I use Poser to create/recreate friends. I use PSP to alter my photographs for art and 3d mapping. "The only way to get the world to conform to my expectations is to build it myself."..................

Home away from home
From Reno, Nevada
Group:
Registered Users
Oh... was wondering if that was it.

I have it on my laptop [my laptop doesn't seem to like a lot of progs I have/use]; will have to try it on a desktop to see if all work [progs that is]. The Premiere Pro works fine; Premiere won't even except w2k OS [takes XP Pro to even install] but it excepts Vista... and I need Premiere for the work I do.

Sometime [sooner or no] in the future I'll put Vista on the now w2k; seems w2k is getting out of date.

OH!!!, I heard the same about XP [Home and Pro] when it frist came out... Called Alias about my Maya [5 at the time]; needed help on getting it to work. They asked me what os I had it on. Told them "XP Pro." they said, "oh...". Had to get XP 'cause Premiere would not work on anything but... the w2k proofed that to be true! "this is not an XP os!" and it shut down the installation... poof! dus is allis.

Vista doesn't seem to bad to me... no less that any of the other os-s I have.

Posted on: 2007/5/2 4:55

Webmaster
From Stockholm, Sweden.
Group:
Webmasters
Registered Users
I have heard some rumours about some things not working properly, and I would not use it in a proffesional environement (office) yet, but thats not because I dont trust it, thats because of common sense policy, dont use it brand new, let them fix the obvious faults and the applications be tested before running it.

If I bough a new laptop today, I would probably have it installed, if for nothing else at least I could test it

I heard about some restrictions on OpenGL and some other stuff, but nothing dead serious until I hear about specific applications that wont work...

I would expect all applications made for XP to work, i.e. all win32 code (properly coded), i would not expect all win16 to work flawlessly, although some might...

Not all win16 work on XP :-/ some lock up 100% cpu in the 16bit engine... kill and restart and they sometime work next time.

today you can usually select if you want XP or VIsta when you buy a system, if the seller wants to sell they need to be open for that...

Posted on: 2007/5/2 6:34

Home away from home
From Reno, Nevada
Group:
Registered Users
Why I have Vista on my laptop... "Vista is installed here!... Don't like it? well Phatss on you; it's here on this machine [see if you can find XP os now boyyo].

When XP first can out ... it ... didn't ... work ... too ... hot ... [InFactItWorkedReallyBad]. Was about 2 years before the XP Pro machine was stable [hold your 2 year breath for Vista... eh!].

Still... Imagine3D works fine [98, 98se, Millinium, w2k, XP,
now Vista].

I have 98 [internet use only], a w2k for Imagine3D, EI Universe, some Adobe progs and some other apps I use, XP works well with all progs installed and now Vista [on a cow laptop] ... needs help... LOL But at lest the apps I really need to work... work.

Wonder what the 'morrow well bring?...

Posted on: 2007/5/2 17:18

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.