Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
27 user(s) are online (5 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 27

more...
Top Posters

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

map paths.
Home away from home
From Los Angeles area
Group:
Registered Users
Good day all. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db_Fec ... v&list=PL8AD54A88B7071250

If you watch this (and I hope you watch all four), he uses a neat trick to animate the route of the abandoned railroads. When I asked him, he said that he uses Adobe After Effects, which I am in no position to afford to get. But, is there any way to do that with Imagine? If I was to take a screen shot of Google Earth, how would I be able to recreate the abandoned route with a path in order to animate a line?

Posted on: 2012/10/23 0:06

Re: map paths.
Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
well, the easiest way would be to load your google earth screen cap as a background in the top view in Imagine and also map it to a plane that fits exactly to the BG map in the top view.
Then you have the background image as a guide to draw splines that will match your map object, and you can then animate extrusions along the paths in the stage editor
:)

Posted on: 2012/10/23 3:06
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Home away from home
From Los Angeles area
Group:
Registered Users
Damn good advice Lahl. Never knew about loading pictures that way!

Posted on: 2012/10/23 21:42

Home away from home
From Los Angeles area
Group:
Registered Users
Hmm. I'm trying to use Grow.fx but I'm getting errors.

Posted on: 2012/10/25 7:14

Home away from home
From Conway, South Carolina, USA
Group:
Registered Users
I tried using 2.14 and doing it my way, that did not work. Then I tried using 2.0 my way. That did not work either. Then I opened The I-Files and searched 'Grow FX' and that took me to the proper pages.

You need to group a path made in the Detail editor to whatever outline you are going to Grow/Extrude. The path HAS to be the parent of the group. You apply the FX to that group in the Action editor.

The I-Files told me that the Grow FX is essentially the same as Extrude to path in Detail, and that is something I have used a lot. So, I know that the path axis has to be coplanar (same position/alignment) as the first editing point in the path prior to animating, and the object axis has to be coplanar with the same parameters prior to animating unless you want some sort of offset. You can be off by a unit or two, but it isn't very forgiving after that.

Good luck!

Posted on: 2012/10/25 16:32

Home away from home
From Los Angeles area
Group:
Registered Users
OK. It was easy enough to create a path based on the map screen capture. However, I don't know why objects won't extrude to path even though I tell them to in the detail editor. It will only extrude from one point to the other in a straight line, not along the curved path I've drawn.

Posted on: 2012/10/25 18:57

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
If you tell me, step by step, exactly what you do when you want to, say, extrude a disk along a path to make a curved tube, I'll look it over and tell you what I think. I've done path extrusions, replicate, all of that, for many years (20+).

Lets's say you want to do the above. First, you load an open path via Object>New>Open Path. It will load with it's coordinates at 0,0,0. The very next thing I do is to go, with the path selected, Mode>Edit Path. When I do that, it is immediately apparent that the control point that needs to be coplanar with the path's axis needs to be moved. I then select the (top view) bottom editing point on the path, and then do a CTRL T to bring up the Transformation requester for that point, and enter 0,0,0 for it's new position. Now, when I go back into Object mode and the path is non-editable, the path's axis is coplanar with it's first editing point. In object mode, the path's axis is now at the beginning of the path line instead of the middle which is the default when it's first loaded. This procedure HAS to be done first if you want to do an accurate path extrusion. It MUST be done for each and every path extrusion.

Let me know if this makes sense so far.

Attach file:

jpg  pathcombined.jpg (56.84 KB)
19_508998c40c2ab.jpg 800X703 px

Posted on: 2012/10/25 19:27

Edited by billgraham on 2012/10/25 19:53:40

Home away from home
From Los Angeles area
Group:
Registered Users
Good job Bill! It extruded a disk along the path. However, it didn't automatically put the axis at the end of the line. I had to position it first. It worked though!!

Posted on: 2012/10/25 21:57

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
yes, that's a quirk of Imagine. Anything you do with paths, like extrude, conform, replicate, etc. you need to make sure the path axis, the first edit point of the path, and the object axis are all coplanar. then, after all that, the new object axis remains where it was. There is a reason for that, tho...

also, you can extrude along an edge path, not just a spline. but you probably figured that out already :)

Posted on: 2012/10/25 22:39

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]