Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
3 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 3

more...
Top Posters

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

IFW for 3D Printer object editing
Home away from home
From Conway, South Carolina, USA
Group:
Registered Users
The attached image is my first serious 3D print. Despite the 'plug and play' mentioned in the advertising, when I got beyond the standardized objects that ship with the printer software and began to work with my own objects from Imagine I began the true learning process. Imagine, as old as it is, has a very robust tool kit that is seemingly made for editing objects to print. The Smoothing requester, the Fracture command, and the Split command especially are a big help. The standard object for 3D printing is the STL, or Stereo Lithography format, and is supported by Accutrans. The other format is the old .OBJ or Wavefront format, also supported by Accutrans, which is a triangle based object format that is widely supported by most 3D printer software. .IOB format objects translate to this format with no modification to the object structure, which is a good thing. This object needs to be sanded and painted. I split it up in Imagine into seven separate prints which facilitated speed and accuracy.

Attach file:

jpg  tmonster3DrpIF.jpg (115.68 KB)
19_569bd19830aa5.jpg 600X538 px

Posted on: 2016/1/17 17:39
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: IFW for 3D Printer object editing
Webmaster
From Stockholm, Sweden.
Group:
Webmasters
Registered Users
I did a fix on Organica for Mike, so that it would save in STL format, he never used that, but later he gave the task to some other coder which I sent some information to which I am sure he didn't need.

I also added STL to Imagine locally, haven't really tried it out yet...

Posted on: 2016/1/18 9:14

Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
Hi.... my first post/response here :)

I did a pretty big project awhile back. I 3d printed MANY birdhouses as an artistic protest at Gezi Park in Istanbul and i really liked my organica to ifw to netfabb workflow.

Not every photo is the result of organica and ifw (some are boolean cavities cut out of public domain obects), but the majority started with organica.
http://alpaykasal.com/blog/3d-printed-taksim-birdhouse-project/

I LOVE boolean modeling. Organica is really awesome for this, i feel my creative juices flow within organica way more than any other app. The only trouble was that the mesh exporters are outdated and the formats will complain when attempting to export a high number of faces. To solve this, I'd export to iob, maybe do a bit of fixing in imagine, then export to obj or dxf after face reduction... then off to the free Netfabb cloud based tool to repair holes and multiple shells that always seem to pop up. Then... ready for printing.

Ps: i just wish ifw's own boolean tools were better. Dense meshes like mine throw errors pretty consistently.

-Alpay

Open in new window

Posted on: 2016/7/4 20:35

Edited by alpay on 2016/7/4 21:32:57

Home away from home
From Conway, South Carolina, USA
Group:
Registered Users
Very nice looking work!

Posted on: 2016/10/13 16:01

Webmaster
From Stockholm, Sweden.
Group:
Webmasters
Registered Users
For the organic stuff, I would definitly use organica, though it was created in a time when the need for large meshes wasn't so great and the computer just wouldn't allow it anyway :)

For the structure models, I would personally use Sketchup... great booleans and very easy to create architecture in

Posted on: 2016/10/15 7:32

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Search