Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
19 user(s) are online (7 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 19

more...
Top Posters

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Boolean operation (splitting primitive with another)
Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
Hello, I am new to Imagine for Windows and have used Imagine for DOS and Amiga in the last century. Recently I tried to figure out the proper way to split object with another object but couldn't quite get the results I was hoping for.

I have an old book 3D Modeling Lab for DOS version of Imagine that instructs to use "multi-mode" for picking objects for splitting. However, this multi-mode concept may be slightly different for Imagine for Windows. Should both interlapping objects become dotted or just the other?

Is there a tutorial or manual that shows how to properly split or slice object with another object?

I believe I can perhaps get up to speed with Imagine for Windows fairly quickly with some advise.

Posted on: 1/5 12:00
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Boolean operation (splitting primitive with another)
Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
I made some learning and am getting desired shapes in objects using a primitive to cut another with Object > Slice command.

Here are three new objects that were made from over-lapping Plane and Tube primitives:

https://postimg.org/image/e9980fm3v/

I ungrouped the three objects with States > Ungroup command and proceeded with the disk made of plane. Using an over-lapping tube I pierced a hole and got four new objects.

The cut-in-half tube objects were not needed and were deleted leaving two desired objects:

https://postimg.org/image/vntg8coa3/

It appears that the Object > Slice command produces different results with different primitives even if the basic over-lapping shapes looked the same where the cut is made. For example, I could not get desired objects if I used Rod primitive instead of Tube primitive. Where the cut was supposed to happen the shapes looked the same but produced different results.

So it needs some experimenting to get the desired object slices.

To start slicing pick over-lapping primitives or objects by keeping shift pressed and drag a selection box around all objects selecting Mode > Drag Method > Drag Box.

That's it for now and getting busy slicing and joining suitable primitives and objects.

Posted on: 1/7 14:11
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]