Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
39 user(s) are online (11 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 39

more...
Top Posters

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: Imagine 3D for 3D printing
Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
>And i have to ask, why the 10% reduction, does the conversion
> software make it bigger somehow?

It is actually 90% reduction.

Imagine 3D units for primitive dimensions are integers only. So if your object has the final dimension of 60.4 mm diameter, you would start with 604 Imagine units (302 for the radius).

In the printer software the object would first show as 604 millimeters, so you scale down to 10% of the Imagine3D size and get what you need.

In practice this seems to work fairly well.

Posted on: 3/7 12:54
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Home away from home
From At home
Group:
Registered Users
Your way does work for your needs, but if you made the radius 30.2 instead of 302 units wouldn't you get the same result for the printer software?

It's a shame your in Hämeenlinna and not closer to Kouvola, we could have some fun with this

Posted on: 3/7 13:43

Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
For some reason I was under the assumption that decimals did not work when sizing a primitive - perhaps I simply tried comma instead of a dot. But now when I tried, it worked fine.

So it is possible that starting with radius of 30.2 gives the exact same result as if starting with 302 and scaling to 10% later.

The imagine3D units are arbitrary and either the AccuTrans converter program or the printer software translates into millimeters. But there is no problem with that whatsoever.

I'm always interested in collaboration and there might be suitable projects in need of more 3D modeling. Imagine3D is unique because it is a direct polygon modeler rather than shape modeler (spline?).

Posted on: 3/7 17:04

Webmaster
From Stockholm, Sweden.
Group:
Webmasters
Registered Users
Not to diss Imagine, because I like it :)
But Blender works very well for these kind of tasks, is still developed and after passing that quite high learning bump, it is actually quite nice to work with.

Posted on: 3/16 7:32

Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
Understood. But it seems blender is a spline modeler if I am correct? With Imagine3D user has access to each individual polygon of the model.

I received the second set of printed parts and they were almost perfect bolt-on custom spare parts:

Open in new window

Four tiny screw holes were made using a plane as the dimensional aid. To each corner of the plane a hole was bored using a tube primitive and then 'slice'.

Items need only the slightest touch of finishing with 1000-grade wet paper for perfection.

So I can say first hand that with Imagine3D and instructions from this thread precise parts can be printed.

Posted on: 3/17 7:28

Home away from home
From Germany
Group:
Registered Users
I made already in the 1990s with Imagine 3.0 on the Amiga for the industry, which were then used for CNC machines.

That worked perfectly with Imagine. All you have to do is always reconfigure the raster for Imagine units when modeling.

If you have to work with tenths of a millimeter, then the grid size must be set to 0.1. At one hundredth of a millimeter then just 0.01

For example, I modeled this model exactly for the industry with the method

http://www.imagine3d.org/modules/xcga ... e.php?pid=1247&fullsize=1

Posted on: 3/22 4:31

Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
That's very interesting. I had not thought about the grid being the Imagine dimension unit but now it seems obvious.

I will try it for the next item.

Posted on: 3/23 16:39

Home away from home
From Germany
Group:
Registered Users
The grid virtually shows the optically virtual units to which one should keep the scale model. And then you have to adjust the units either by zooming or by dynamic switching. In this way you can even create models in Imagine that fit the thousandth of a millimeter. In the end, you only have to know in the further processing on the 3D printer, in which scale you want the model printed.

I even find that you can model with Imagine relaxedter in scale than in Blender, because you constantly maintain control. Anyway, that's my subjective impression.

PS. I used Polytrans Pro to translate into printable or CNC formats. The program also preserves the polygon orientation for other formats and maintains phong shading.

Posted on: 3/23 18:48

Edited by Marabufx on 2018/3/23 19:07:41

Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
I just tested the grid and it indeed works as precise dimensional aid.

The key combination on Windows is Alt + - (minus). If one sets value 0.1, the grid is one tenth of a millimeter for an item to be 3D printed.

The grid is also well covered in the book 3D modeling lab that is a thick handbook for Imagine3D DOS version and still easily available.

Posted on: 4/1 6:46

Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
One question though, is there a way to unpick selected points other than Hide Unpicked and then using Reverse Pick?

I can add to the selection by keeping down Shift, but it would be nice to be able to just as easily remove picked points from selection.

Posted on: 4/19 19:09

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.