Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
40 user(s) are online (6 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 40

more...
Top Posters

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Imagine 3D for 3D printing
Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
It is a bit early to say what is going on but only the Z axis has the proper value in printer software relating to the Imagine value whereas X and Y values are slightly off.

When the object file is viewed in AccuTrans, it tells that the scaling is 1.0 for X and Y axis and 0.9 for the Z axis.

And the Z axis then shows the proper millimeters 10.0 in Slic3r printer software when the X and Y are both 99.66 in millimeters (originally 100 Imagine units).

But it looks like something that can be solved.

Posted on: 1/21 20:32
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Webmaster
From Stockholm, Sweden.
Group:
Webmasters
Registered Users
Tis might have soemthing to do with quadrants...
STL numbers MUST be positive.
So move objects away from 0,0,0 so that all are in positive part of grid and it might handle it better?

I would expect a converter to move the object into positive quadrant, but that migth change stuff :)

I am reading up on the STL format...

Posted on: 1/21 21:45

Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
Here is how originally a 100 x 100 x 10 Imagine object looks in Slic3r printer software after conversion to .STL in AccuTrans: https://i.imgur.com/DSOBRX5.jpg

Even if it doesn't say millimeters in Size, that's what they are and it is better seen in the 2D view where the size of the object is compared to 200 mm x 200 mm printer hot bed.

If it is of any clue, it says Manifold - auto-repaired (436 errors).

Repaired and saved in Slic3r the object looks identical in AccuTrans, so I can not say what those errors and auto repair means.

But I will investigate and test some more soon.

Posted on: 1/23 21:18

Webmaster
From Stockholm, Sweden.
Group:
Webmasters
Registered Users
It might be that the normal don't go the right way and it had to "flip the faces"

On a STL object, the volume must be completely enclosed and all the normal of the faces has to point out of the object, which is fixed by rearranging the order of the vertices in each face so that the go counterclockwise from the outside (right hand rule)

Imagine doesn't care if normal go in our out since they are double sided in imagine.

Posted on: 1/25 10:15

Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
The disk object with 99.66 diameter earlier in the Slic3r software was made of plane primitive sliced with a tube primitive of a radius of 50 (plane had width 100). It was the slicing operation that changed the size.

If I just put a plane of 100 imagine width into Slic3r, it now shows 100.00 (mm).

There does not seem to be a problem, just learning how to do things to get desired results.

Posted on: 1/25 12:58

Webmaster
From Stockholm, Sweden.
Group:
Webmasters
Registered Users
Well, good...
Still, the current binary (Imagine) has no STL export...
I am thinking to add it if I haven't already...

/Johan A

Posted on: 1/25 15:26

Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you Johan for your support. I did little more thinking about the sizing.

I did the slicing of the Plane primitive with a Tube primitive of certain radius. I wonder if the resulting hole in the Plane would have been the exact same diameter as the primitive doing the slicing?

That would be according to engineering principles and it would mean that the Tube primitive has certain wall thickness. The difference is the difference between 100.00 - 99.66 = Tube wall thickness.

Now comes the dilemma, if one needed the "inner object" from the slicing - such as the disk that was seen earlier - to be certain precise diameter, is there a way to give the object the proper accurate diameter in Imagine so that the disk would be 100 and not 99.66?

The scaling in Imagine just like in the printer software appears to work in integers (no decimals). For example, if I needed round caps that I made with slicing, the caps would have the diameter of the Tube primitive radius minus wall thickness.

The difference would have to be accounted for somehow or be able to assign accurate new size for the sliced object.

One possible solution might be using four digits in the Imagine sizes - a hundred would have to be a thousand plus the required wall thickness. In printer software the scale would have to be 0.1 and it should become precise enough.

But this is theory and more needs to be learned about the subject.

Posted on: 1/25 17:12

Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
It seems that accurate sizing for the object can be done either using more digits in Imagine3D for size.

For example using width 1006 instead of 100 for a Plane primitive. I can not say if this consumes more memory. The object is then scaled down in Slic3r printer software and becomes accurate enough.

However, in Imagine3D Transformation Parameters dialog there exists enough decimals for very accurate object scaling. Scaling the sliced disk size to 1.0065 in Transformation Parameters gave the object to be printed size 99.96 in the printer software: https://i.imgur.com/3cnsKiH.jpg

This accuracy falls within the 3D printer maximum possible accuracy and is certainly enough for high precision 3D printed parts or objects.

So no problem there - just a little bit of engineering the dimensions.

Posted on: 1/25 20:31

Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
Okay, here is what I have learned so far:

I created a small adapter plate in Detail editor from four different parts that I merged together.

Here is the front side: https://s14.postimg.org/5hyqywa9d/adapteri01.jpg

And here is the back side: https://s14.postimg.org/y7lmvo40h/adapteri02.jpg

It seems that objects created this way do not pass the water tight check in Accutrans. The boundaries of the different parts merged together still exist.

Is there a way to merge objects such way that the boundary between the objects would actually vanish for water tight merged object?

One possibility might be to model the object in Forms editor but I don't think there exists possibility to accurately measure dimensions of the various shapes of the object.

Here is a bit less complex object made of just two parts in Imagine 3D saved in Accutrans and opened in Slic3r printer software: https://s14.postimg.org/w319un7jl/adapteri03.jpg

The outer diameter of the disk was set to 300 in Imagine and scaled down to 10% in printer software. There is no problem with the outer dimensions.

However, the ring part was made of a Plane primitive and sliced with a Tube primitive. I had to scale that part to 1.0065 in Imagine3D to hopefully have the correct final outer diameter for the ring part.

The object would have to be printed to see whether all of the inner diameters are correct.

So it is not quite there yet but certainly promising at the moment.

Posted on: 1/31 13:03

Edited by rokkor3D on 2018/1/31 13:22:04
Edited by rokkor3D on 2018/1/31 13:23:17

Webmaster
From Stockholm, Sweden.
Group:
Webmasters
Registered Users
So, not watertight might mean that one or several vertices of your combined object is probably two or more separate vertices...even if they occupy the exact same point, they will have different edges and so "leak".

Imagine has two operations that work with objects, they are Merge and Join... they work differently...

When you have two or more objects, that might share vertices, first join them to make them ONE object with all vertices, edges and faces.

Then Merge them, this will make vertices that occupy the same position, merge together...

So after using boolean operations cutting stuff upp...
Select the parts you do not want and discard them, then select the parts you want to have, usually picking the one with the best placed axis first, then the rest, JOIN and MERGE...

Imagine sadly doesn't have a "flip normal" function today, which might be needed if your software cannot use the faces if they are pointing the wrong way... Must test :)

but that joined and merged object SHOULD be watertight if enough parts were choosen.

Posted on: 1/31 18:11

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]