Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
37 user(s) are online (13 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 37

more...
Top Posters

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Best practices for managining objects, projects, brushes...etc.
Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
Is there a "best practice" to manage projects, both locally and across instances (be it IFW or IFA)?

My "current" thought is to create logical structures like how I did in "the old days".

/projects
|-> project_name
|---> brushes
|---> attributes
|---> objects
|---> stills.pix [settings for stills]
|---> anims.pix [settings for animations]

NOTE: with storage these days, capacity is no longer an issue. Even on my A1200 w/030@50MHz, I had a zip drive for storing projects so my 250gb drive didn't fill up.

Not going to lie, It was nice to move projects from my A1200 to my P3-700MHz with (IFD 4.0 from a cover disk) to render animations with raytracing at NTSC resolutions in a fraction of the time.

Posted on: 9/21 4:31
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Best practices for managining objects, projects, brushes...etc.
Home away from home
From Germany
Group:
Registered Users
So I have created a standard folder for IFW, which I then duplicate in a new project only ever. In the folder I have by default created the subfolders: objects and predefined light sources, brushes, splines, textures, quick renderers, renderings and settings.txt.

This has the advantage that you can calculate the projects on other computers immediately and always understand everything even years later.

It used to be a mess after switching from IFA to IFW, because the paths were never right, then brushes were on a different disk because they were using a new machine.

And the worst thing is on IFW, that the program no settings such as Resolution, Motionblur, Antialias, etc. can remember more and you have to help as in the Middle Ages with a TXT file. I do not understand at all that impulses did not get after years of the development on the row, although it worked already on the Amiga ever outstanding. Also on IFW it is a step backwards to IFA, that the AREXX interface has not been converted into a Python interface.

And bad I take impulses that they have finally broken a formerly functioning and progressive program downright .. and have released as a final product a program that is full of bugs ... although it all worked smoothly on the Amiga!

Posted on: 9/22 3:26

Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
"released as a final product a program that is full of bugs ... although it all worked smoothly on the Amiga!"

This is why I continue to use IFA 5.13 in FS-UAE, as it is a bit "nicer" in many ways.

There is a nice way to make sure drive litters/names line up if you can "mount" things accordingly. But its not perfect.

Posted on: 9/22 10:19

Home away from home
From Germany
Group:
Registered Users
well, that with an emulator and the Amiga Imagine version is already a possibility. But the Amiga version has no Z-meshes and volumetrics and you only have the possibility to model objects with a fixed number of polygons.

I also do not know if the Amiga version 5.13 of the physical memory behavior - such as objects, presets and render options still works exactly as, for example, in version 4.0. Since the program was completely adapted to the Amiga 3.5 GUI.

I even believe that from version 6.0 for the Amiga Volumetriks ect. should give.

Incidentally, I have already looked at the test versions for the new Hypervoxel Shader, which were intended for the Amiga versions after 6.0 and Windows version 3.0. My conclusion is ... we miss something gigantic. The hypertextures hardly differ from 3D Studio Max, Blender or LightWave..and the ingenious thing about Max, Blender, etc. would have been that they would have been completely straightforward. From hair to pyroclastic effects, realistic explosions would have been completely easy to realize.

But I find it funny that the IFA CUP 6.0 is still running on the official Amiga site. So if the version 6.0 ever should be released, then I also upgrade to an Amiga emulator and use the Imagine PPC version 6.0

Posted on: 9/23 5:00

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]