Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
35 user(s) are online (8 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 35

more...
Top Posters

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Explosion Ring
Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
Hi everyone..

Can anyne tell me how I get a cool plasma ring. I'm trying to get a star (in space) to blow up and have a ring of fire expand after the explosion.

The problem I am having is finding a texture (imagine based) that will give me the fade from a solid ring outer edge to a transparent centre (ie create a ring of fire with a radius of 100 units, with a solid outer edge which fades/filters out towards the middle over 30 units and the remaining 70 units from the faded/filtered inside edge of the ring to the middle is transparent). I've tried radial.itx but this just seems to allow me to fade/filter towards the outer edge and from the outer edge to the middle.

I guess I could use a bitmap and use this as a filter but I was trying to do it with imagine textures itself.

Any help anyone could offer would be welcome.

Thank you for your time

Slippery

Posted on: 2009/8/3 10:05
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Explosion Ring
Home away from home
From Plymouth, England
Group:
Registered Users
Hi, Slippery,

You could try the Iris texture- setting the inner colours to -1 and the object to transparent- which just leaves the outer section coloured with a wibbly-wobbly fire like trailing edge leading to a solid leading edge. (Although, I'm danged if I've been able to set the inner colours in the iris texture- or any other texture for that matter- to -1 in IFW.)

Alternatively, you could use the iris texture to generate a transparancy map (or anim for that matter) and then use that to create your ring of fire.

Alternatively, if you are using IFW 2.19 try the Volumtric Firering.itx which is specifically designed for those types of effects. (Firering.itx is available somewhere in the downloads section.)

THe only 'issue' with the Firering texture is the colouring- it doesn't seem to work as you would expect- so it's a bit hit or miss.

Hope this helps.

All the best,

Kevin.

Posted on: 2009/8/3 22:31

Home away from home
From Norway
Group:
Registered Users
Goodness gracious, great rings of fire! ;)

Posted on: 2009/8/4 3:49
But I fear what's to happen all happened before.

Home away from home
From Conway, South Carolina, USA
Group:
Registered Users
I used three instances of the Radialfract.itx texture in the Essence package. This gives a rough jagged edge to the gas cloud that can be animated. FYI, you can 'stack' multiple instances of the same texture, that is what the 'Duplicate' function does in the texture attributes. But, it can be confusing since they all have the same name! Stacking priority is downward, so that the 2nd texture overrides the first, etc. Also, you can use the little radio box next to each instance if you have trouble so you can adjust things and see what each instance is doing individually.

On a flattened polygonal sphere with a 200 unit radius I used the first instance of Radialfract with a start distance of 1, and on that one I set the Filter parameters (in the texture requester) to 255x3. I duplicated that and changed the start distance to 150 with Filter set to 0x3. I then duped that with a start distance of 175, and Filter set to 255x3.

What is happening is this: Texture 1 in the stack, by itself looks completely transparent from the center outward. Texture 2 overrides it, and starts at 150 units out and goes out to infinity, making the outer edge smooth, but the inner edge is gassy. Texture 3 overrides that, and starting at 175 units out, feathers out to transparency, making the outer edge gassy.

It works great for me. I think prolly the Impulse texture would do the same thing, tho you have to scale it interactively.

Let me know if you are still stuck and I'll make a tute out of it and upload it.

Posted on: 2009/8/4 8:34

Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you billgraham..

That worked a treat. I'm still playing with the params to get exactly what I want but that's brilliant. Just need to set some states to fade it out now as it expands.

Kmanktelow.. I also added an iris texture to give it some texture.. so I'm playing with that now (not eactly what you suggested.. but it gave me an idea !).

Anyway.. thanks again.. absolutely fantastic (would have taken me years to work this out.. if ever !)

Slippery

Posted on: 2009/8/4 19:10

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.