Home away from home
Re: String of Pearls
well, let's see....
My texture list is a little longer
1. fracbump used as a microbump to blur reflections
2. fracbump with large scale and low octaves and low bump height to create minor variations and imperfections in the shape of the 'perfect sphere'
3. ABfakley, colour spline, almost white with a tinge of yellow at the front, and a touch darker yellow at the sides
4. a special image map that I created to map spherically, usually for that subtle rainbow specular effect, but this time as a colour map, mix/morph value at 0.15
5. ABfakley, reflect spline, almost black (40-45) with a tinge of blue/purple at the front, and a touch lighter at the sides (75-85) with blue/purple tint
6. ABfakeNC hardness spline 160-215, IOR spline 1.53-1.62 (actual pearl IOR = 1.53-1.686), brightness spline 15-50 (originally had 25-100, but it was a touch too much)
7. my rainbow map as specular map
8. ABboost colour boost 1.2, specular boost 1.5
The other trick is getting the right environment to get the best reflections to enhance the look of the pearls, so I had an HDRI map of a photographic studio from which I made an HDRI sphere for reflections and an IBL array from it. Unfortunately the studio was not quite the right environment to show off the pearls, so tried a different one for this second image, Better, but still not quite right.
Rendered in high-res overnight and scaled down in photoshop
Hope that gives you some insight into my process and since this was a quick throw together in the detail editor, I could have refined it if I had more time